(1) Join the Zone Contact Web Discussion with UPTE President Jelger Kalmijn
-Contracts expired: What now?
-Retiree Health Benefits on the chopping block
-Support AFSCME Contract Rally
This web discussion happens Wednesday, October 11 at noon and 7PM. The web discussion will include an open ended question and answer.
(2) Town Halls a Great Success. NEXT STEP: Support AFSCME Bargaining Rally
UPTE members poured into the Unity Town Halls across the state last week. Bargainers from UPTE, AFSCME, and CNA detailed how UC is undermining our pension and inviting Wall St to profit off the retirement savings of new hires. If you missed the Town Halls, you can review the talking points attached.
Our next joint action will coincide with the start of the final AFSCME bargaining group this Thursday, October 12. Join in support as we protect our pension together with our coworkers in other units. Here are the locations that we have. If your campus is not yet listed, contact your local UPTE office for details.
Santa Cruz: 12 noon in front of Bay Tree Bookstore
Berkeley: 3:30 PM on Sproul Plaza
San Francisco: 11:30-1 in front of Mission Hall
Los Angeles: 11-2:30 in front of Medical Center
Irvine: 10:30-2 on Campus at the Flag Poles AND 11-1 in Medical Center - Healing Garden
Riverside: 11:30-1:30 at the Bell Tower
Merced: Wear stickers for the day
San Diego Campus: 9-10 Library Walk and 12-1 Eleanor Roosevelt College at Village
San Diego Med Center: 11-1:30 Hillcrest in front of hospital
Davis Med Center: 11-1, 2:30-4:30pm (in front of main hospital entrance)
Santa Barbara: 12 noon in front of Cheadle Hall
(3) Membership and Union Re-Affirmation
We are counting on you, our UPTE zone contacts, to protect our union in the midst of one of most difficult times. UC wants to give us no step increases and undermine our pension, at the same that the Supreme Court is likely soon to allow individuals benefiting from our union to not pay their “fair share.”
Keep #UPTE Strong! Here’s the first step you and your coworkers can take:
1) Sign the new UPTE membership form that protects our union and
2) Select an amount to contribute to our Political Action Fund so we can challenge the attacks on our pension and anti-union politics in Sacramento and DC
(4) Medicare for All!
Want to see real health care progress? Join Labor United for Universal Healthcare, Healthy California, and other health care justice activists for the Medicare for All October Weekend of Action on October 14 and 15 to build support for Senate Bill 562 (the Healthy California Act) in all 80 Assembly Districts across California.
We're going talk to thousands of California residents about what Medicare for All could do for their lives and ask for their support. We need to build as much grassroots pressure as possible over the next few months to ensure that elected officials return in January ready to hit the ground running to pass SB 562, and that starts this weekend. We need your help to make this weekend a success.
Here’s what you can do:
1. Find a neighborhood canvass or petition gathering near you by clicking on this link, typing in your zip code, and RSVPing for an event.
2. If you don’t see an event near you and want to organize one, we’ll help you set it up and provide materials. Fill out this form and we'll be in touch soon.
3. Make calls to build support for SB 562. We are phone banking, using the Our Revolution auto dialing system, to invite people to support SB 562. All you need is a phone, a computer, and a steady internet connection. Calling hours are Wednesdays 5 – 8pm PT and Saturdays Noon – 5pm PT. A calling script and step-by-step guide are included here.
Thank you for joining the movement for health care justice and Medicare for All. See you on October 14 and 15.
This e-publication was prepared by UPTE-CWA President Jelger Kalmijn. Contact him if you have any questions or comments.