HX/TX/RX ratification
In the press  |   Flyer  |  UPTE-CWA
We have a tentative agreement!

Congratulations to us all:
activists, mobilizers, our national union, staff and most of all, our bargaining team. More than three years ago we stated that we would not accept the 2 tier pension plan that the Regents unilaterally adopted on December 2010 and we did not! We demanded fair raises, and we got them!

Both the UPTE-CWA executive board and bargaining teams recommend a "yes" vote on ratification. Voting will take place at all campuses and medical centers December 16-20.

When and where can you vote?
Polling Locations:
Polling locations will be set up in major work areas and at different times. You can request additional polling locations by contacting UPTE staff at your medical center/campus.

Absentee ballots:
Members may vote by absentee ballot. You must send an email to absentee@upte-cwa.org.
You will receive an automated reply with instructions on how to cast your ballot during the voting period of December 16 – 20.

Here is a summary of the agreement:
(1) Wage Increases

Healthcare Professionals (HX):
UCB  |  UCLA  | UCD  |  UCSF  |  UCI  |  UCSD
  • 1/1/14: 5.5% general wage increase (Student Health Center (SHC) 4%) + 2% step (topped out get lump sum). 
  • 1/1/14: 5.1% additional UCRP contributions begin.*
  • 7/1/14: 0.4% additional UCRP contribution begins. For total contributions of 9%.
  • 1/1/15: 2% general wage increase (SHC 2%) + 2% step.
  • 1/1/16: 2% general wage increase (SHC 3%) + 2% step.
  • 1/1/17: 2% general wage increase (SHC 2%) + 2% step.
  • Total: 11.5% + 4 steps increase over 4 years of contract.
  • Expires: 10/31/2017.

Technical Employees and Researchers (TX/RX):

  • 1/1/14: 4% general wage increase.
  • 1/1/14: 3% additional UCRP contributions begin.
  • Lump sum (approximately $100).
  • 7/1/14: 1% additional UCRP contribution begins. For total contributions of 9%. **
  • 10/1/14: 3% general wage increase.
  • 10/1/15: 3% general wage increase.
  • 10/1/16: 3% general wage increase.
  • Total: 13% wage increase over 4 years of contract.
  • Expires: 9/30/17.
  • LBNL reaches agreement on wages on 12/17/13

(2) Pension

Current and future employees:

      • Same contribution of 8% as rest of UC plus an additional 1% for all to keep major features of UCRP benefit.
      • Same pension calculation (highest salary X years of service X age factor).
      • Same eligibility and age factor.
      • Lump sum cash out option.

Future employees will not be eligible for:

      • In-active COLA (for those who leave UC before retiring).
      • Supplemental UC contribution for survivor benefits.


(3) Retiree health benefits

  • Current employees retain same eligibility and formula for UC contribution (i.e. no "rule of 50" or cut off for those not vested).
  • Upon ratification, new hires will be on new 2013 retiree healthcare plan. And, UPTE and UC will negotiate contributions and vesting of a Retiree Health Benefit Trust Fund in 2015 for new and current employees.

(4) No Paid Time Off (PTO) where it doesn’t already currently exist.

* For HX: July 1, 2012 – June 30, 2013 missed 1.5% UCRP contribution to be paid by UC.
 July 1, 2013 – December 31, 2013 missed 1.5% UCRP contribution to be made up by starting 8% contribution due in July 1, 2014 on January 1, 2014 instead. On July 1, 2014 the additional 1% contribution will be made for a total UCRP contribution of 9%. No additional UCRP contributions expected for the life of the contract. Current contributions are 3.5%; final contribution rate will be 9% by July 1, 2014.

** For TX/RX: January 1, 2014 begin contribution of 3% to UCRP to start to make up for missed 1.5% starting July 1, 2013. July 1, 2014 an additional 1% UCRP contribution will begin for a total of 9% contributions. No additional UCRP contributions expected for the life of the contract. Current contributions are 5%; final contribution rate will be 9% by July 1, 2014.